Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bliss...

Good morning, all! Things are moving a little slowly here in the craftroom this week...well, at least things I can post right now. I'm working on a few projects for posting at later dates, trying to get ahead of when they're due so I'm not scrambling at the end. I'm not happy when I have to create under pressure, and I think it shows in the finished project, so I do my best not to put myself in that position. :)

Today's project is this week's mixed-media-meets-shabby-chic card (I'm loving the process of making these, so there may be one weekly from now on!). Once again, I used Spectra Bleeding Art tissues to color the background, but this time, I covered the whole piece with a light coating of gesso after the tissues dried, which left me with a beautiful, soft, pastel background. That way, I could use inks and stamps in places where I wanted bolder colors.

Another technique I added this time was to mix Perfect Pearls powder with translucent embossing paste. I applied this using the chevron stencil. In trying to get a closeup for you to see the slight sheen this added, I realized the best photo of it was the full-on photo of the card. If you click on the card pic to enlarge it, you can see the shimmer it adds...it really dresses up the card!

And that's what led me to make all the embellishments monochromatic - all in cream, and very feminine, starting with the large lace rose in the center...




The die cut beneath the flowers in the upper left corner is cut from black cardstock...I dry-brushed it with gesso to lighten it just a bit, but still keep it from blending into the background too much...





I used Aquamarine and Magenta Hue Archival inks with a couple of the Tim Holtz Grunge stamps to bring pops of strong, bright color to some of the corners...




The cream Prima charm was the perfect blend with the flowers and lace...




This lace flower came from the same Etsy shop as the colored shabby roses I'm so fond of using...this time, there's a clear Prima button in the center to dress it up even more...


Supplies:
Stamps:   Tim Holtz Ultimate Grunge
Stencil:   Tim Holtz Chevron
Dies:    Memory Box Queen of Hearts;    Poppy Stamps Massa Leaf Background
Lace rose:   Frogfeathers on Etsy
Bliss charm and large button:   Prima              Flowers:   Wild Orchid Crafts
Pearls:   Recollections            Crocheted lace:   local craft store
Hug Snug seam binding
Mixed media supplies:   Spectra Bleeding Art tissue, gesso, Archival inks, gel medium, 
Studio 490 translucent embossing paste, "Mint" Perfect Pearls powder



Thanks so much for stopping by today!




4 comments:

  1. Another pretty card! Love the flowers and love the leaf dies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card Kathy. Love all the different techniques you have used :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous! So much to look at with all the beautiful little details! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...