Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Mojo Monday 300...

I took a break from a couple projects I'm working on to play with Mojo Monday's 300th sketch celebration...it's a fun sketch, so I couldn't resist the temptation. :)

Pink seems to be popping up a lot when I choose my paper combos for cards these days, and today's card is no exception.  This time, I mixed it with gray, cream, and green...



Here's the Mojo Monday sketch it's based on:



The large center rose started as a white mulberry rose from the craft store. I wanted to color it a very soft pink, so I sprayed it with Spun Sugar Distress Ink diluted slightly with distilled water.  It looked too pale at first, so I spritzed again (while still damp) very lightly with Worn Lipstick diluted ink.  

As I carefully dried it using my heat tool, I was pleasantly surprised to see it drying much as my rayon seam binding does when I spritz it...the dye ran to the edges, giving them a deeper tone than the rest of the surface.  I was getting a two-toned rose without even trying...gotta love that kind of happy little surprise!

The small scalloped circle inside the fancy-edged square appears as though it's cut from the center of the square, but actually it's a separate piece popped up a bit with foam tape. Originally I wanted to punch the circle out of the square, but realized that the paper below it was the black damask as well...and I didn't want that paper to show through. But I didn't have enough of the floral wood stripe left to cover the back of the punched-out circle completely. What I did have, however, was a piece with a seam that I could match to the seam in the background paper. So it gives the illusion that you're seeing the background paper through a punch out...but you're not.

You can see part of the edges of the scalloped piece in the photos below...on the first, it's easier to see it's a separate piece...




...but in the next two photos, where it's in the background, it looks like a punch-out...





Supplies:
Patterned papers:   My Minds Eye Bramble Rose collection (grey rose wood print, black damask);
Glitz Pretty In Pink collection (stripe);   Authentique Cherish collection/Cherish C (cream solid)
Dies:   Spellbinders Adorning Squares;  Sizzix Flowers Branches and Leaves
Sentiment stamp:    Paper Sweeties "You Are Amazing" set
Rose crocheted lace:   Prima          Pearls:   Recollections          Flowers:   local craft stores
Miscellaneous supplies:   pearl stick pin, cotton lace, cheesecloth



Thanks so much for stopping by to visit today...I hope your week is going well.  

For my USA friends, have a happy and safe 4th of July celebration tomorrow!


15 comments:

  1. Oh , lovely card, great colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mihaela! I have a "thing" for pink. :)

      Delete
  2. So lovely. Wonderful colours and design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mo! (Just caught up on your last vacation photos...what a great trip!)

      Delete
  3. STUNNING, Kathy ... simply beautiful! You have showcased the Paper Sweeties You Are Amazing stamp set so wonderfully! Thanks for sharing your lovely work with us all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! Your stamps were the perfect fit for this! :)

      Delete
  4. Kathy this is honestly one of the most stunning cards I've seen of late - I just adore it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... this is just stunning! Thanks for playing along with Mojo Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julee! I'm such a fan of your sketches! :)

      Delete
  6. Fabulous take on the sketch ! I loved how you done the upper rectangle panel and circle on the card ..The embellishments look jus Wow !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently came across some of your cards Kathy and I must say they are quite beautiful. You now have a board on my Pinterest that I hope to fill with all your lovely works of art... I too have a weekness for anything pink and so many of your cards make me smile when I see so much pink !! I will be following you through your bog and can't wait to see what you share with us next !! Blessing to you, Holly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...